Hybrid bearings are the one component that’ll easily enhance and optimize the performance of your machine or application.
Let’s break down some advantages hybrid bearings provide:
- 40% increase in application lifespan
- Higher speeds with lowered rolling friction
- Improved rigidity, accuracy and precision
- Less operational vibration
Doesn’t that sound good?
What are Hybrid Bearings?
A hybrid bearing has ball material made of ceramic, silicone nitride (Si3N4) and 52100 bearing steel rings. This type of precision bearing is an excellent choice for advanced machines that require precision.
Ceramic balls offer numerous advantages over steel balls:
- Contamination causes less damage to the bearing because of the hard silicone nitride material.
- Ceramic is a lighter material than steel, producing lower operating temperatures
- Higher operational speeds can be achieved
- And more
Swap your steel ball bearings for hybrids today, request a quote for pricing and availability.
Advantages of Hybrid Precision Bearings
Longer Service Life
Hybrid precision bearings have been shown to increase the lifespan of your application by up to 40% over a conventional steel bearing.
How this is possible:
- Low surface adhesive wear: The lower affinity to steel reduces the adhesive wear, which is caused by the cold welding effect on irregularities in the raceway and ball surface.
- Low abrasive wear out: With steel balls, contaminants and particles from the process of running in are embedded into the surface. With every revolution of the ball, these foreign particles damage the raceway. These particles make little impact on the extremely hard ceramic ball.
- Insensitivity to poor lubrication: Low adhesion and friction allow the hybrid bearing to perform well even under poor lubrication.
- Longer grease service life: Lower operating temperature and favorable tribologic features, extend the service life of the grease.
The attainable speed depends on the thermal conditions in the bearing. A hybrid bearing creates less friction and generates less power loss, therefore the speed limit is increased.
- Low rolling friction: The rolling friction is reduced, as the centrifugal force of the lighter ceramic ball is less. The contact ellipse is less because of the higher Young’s modulus.
- Low sliding friction between ball and raceway: At high speeds, sliding friction is responsible for most of the total friction. One of the criteria for the sliding friction is a low spin/roll ratio. The service life is effected by values above 0. 25.
- Avoid ball skidding: Balls skid on the raceway if the preload between the rings is too small. This process usually occurs in case of an insufficient preload of the bearing or an excessive acceleration. With hybrid bearings the minimum preload can be reduced as they have a smaller inertia and generate a smaller spinning moment.
Low Cost Lubrication
- Grease lubrication can be used in higher speed ranges.
- The limiting speed for minimum oil lubrication increases significantly. In many cases, it can replace the expensive oil jet lubrication.
Please note: The possible increase of the speed depends on different factors, such as the allowed speed factor of the grease used, temperature and the concept of the bearing fittings. Therefore, we don’t publish a standard additional factor for the limiting speed, but we offer an individual check of the construction. For contact, please contact us.
- The radial rigidity of hybrid bearings is approximately 15% higher at low speeds because of the higher Young’s modulus.
- With higher speeds, the centrifugal force affects the internal load distribution and the dynamic rigidity is reduced. The diagram shows reduced loss of rigidity for hybrid bearings.
- A high rigidity improves the accuracy and shifts the critical fundamental frequency of the bearing arrangement.
Improved Machining Accuracy
The following factors lead to an improvement of the surface quality and accuracy of machined parts.
- Higher rigidity of bearing arrangement
- Small thermal expansion
- Low vibration impulse by ceramic balls
Applications That’d Benefit from Using a Hybrid Bearing
- Machine tool spindles: State of the art machining processes, like high speed milling, require a new concept of bearing arrangements for spindles. The application of hybrid bearings has resulted in a remarkable improvement in performance. For many years we have successfully used spindles with hybrid bearings for our own production processes.
- Vacuum Pumps: Reliability of these bearings is of utmost importance, as breakdown can result in high costs.
- Medical equipment like X-ray tube bearings
- Emergency bearings, like touchdown bearings, for magnetic bearing systems
- Bearings for aeronautic and aerospace applications
Why Buy From GMN Bearing USA?
The success of our business comes from three main pillars of excellence:
- Rapid Response: 99% of inquiries are responded to within one business day and most orders ship out the same day (from Houston, Texas).
- Expert-Level Support: Our onsite mechanical engineers and technical support specialists provide answers to your most difficult questions.
- Quality 360°: Our internal quality control process is one of the highest in the industry. We make sure GMN is synonymous with quality.
Need help finding the right product for your application? Contact us today.