Our sprag clutch product line can be used in a wide variety of machine applications, from bicycles to drilling machines. The most common uses for a sprag clutch can be categorized into three main areas:
Read all about each one of these main areas below and find out which one will be the best for you.
Backstop Clutch Applications
A backstop clutch is commonly used for safety precautions.
If a machine is designed to carry heavy objects, the backstop clutch is needed to hold the weight if the machine doesn’t function properly. A common example would be if the power goes out in an elevator. A backstop clutch can hold the weight in place & protect the people it’s carrying.
Backstop Clutch Machine Examples:
- Conveyors: Stop Load
- Winches: Stop Load
- High Voltage Switching: Safety Device
- Textile Machine: Material Feed Protection
- Industrial Fan: Motor Protection
Indexing Clutch Applications
An indexing clutch pushes motion in a circular direction and then allows it to idle or stop. The most common example is an assembly line or automatic production line.
A production line that moves to one position, stops, waits and then moves one position over is a good example of how an indexing clutch works.
The motion cycle is controlled and protected with the use of Sprag Clutches.
Many types of conveyors, assembly machines and production machines use an indexing sprag clutch to do business and for added safety precautions in case of motor or electrical failure.
Indexing Clutch Machine Examples:
- Copiers: Paper Feeding
- Furniture Production: Glue Roller
- Food Production: Bottling Plant
- Sewing Machines: Material Feeder
- Automatic Winch: Controlled Raising/Lowering
An overrunning clutch prevents direction from being pushed in the reverse direction. The clutch allows idle spinning to keep going without engagement of force. The most common example is the bicycle.
Overrunning Clutch Machine Examples:
- Conveyors: Speed Compensation
- Mixers: Motor Protection
- Motorcycles: Gear Box or Transmission
- Packaging Machine: Spins Down Freely
- Printing Press: Ink Roller Drive
Hopefully this answers a few questions on the versatility and options that our GMN sprag clutch product line can provide.
Why Buy From GMN Bearing USA?
The success of our business comes from three main pillars of excellence:
- Rapid Response: 99% of inquiries are responded to within one business day and most orders ship out the same day (from Houston, Texas).
- Expert-Level Support: Our onsite mechanical engineers and technical support specialists provide answers to your most difficult questions.
- Quality 360°: Our internal quality control process is one of the highest in the industry. We make sure GMN is synonymous with quality.
Need help finding the right product for your application? Contact us today.